MONTGOMERY EVANS, 20, one of the leading attorneys of the Norristown bar, was born in Limerick, November 18, 1853. He was educated in the public schools of his native township and in select schools in Phoenixville, Spring City and Norristown, was graduated from Lafayette College in 1875, as valedictorian of his class, and was a member of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and of the Phi Beta Kappa society. For two years he was principal of the public schools of Montrose in Susquehanna county. He afterwards studied law with the late Benjamin E. Chain and on November 30, 1878, was admitted to the bar.
For a number of years Mr. Evans was a partner of Louis M. Childs, the firm being Childs & Evans. Subsequently this partnership was dissolved and he associated himself with Messrs. Holland and Dettra, which firm under the style of Evans, Holland & Detra, is recognized as among the leading attorneys of the state.
Mr. Evans is president of the Norristown Trust Company, of the Norristown Insurance & Water Company, and of the Bridgeport Water Company, and with Colonel James Boyd is counsel in this county for the Reading Railroad Company. Since 1885 he has been treasurer of the Law Library. He is a director of the Norristown Gas Company, the Gas Company of Montgomery county, Norristown Steam Heat Company and Western North Carolina Land Company; also secretary and treasurer of the last-named corporation.
His career of more than a quarter of a century has been marked by continued advancement: as a lawyer he stands high. To natural ability are added the results of careful study and observation, and fidelity to his clients' interests, coupled with sound judgment and conservative advice has gained him that confidence which has classed him among the trustworthy and reliable attorneys in this state.
View Notes for ...
There are no Source citations for this individual.